Jeff Joyce protects the critical business interests of his clients with over 33 years of experience in commercial litigation and the essential ingredients of sound judgment and a tenacious mindset. His representation of loan servicers, loan originators, financial institutions, real estate-based entities, insurance companies, manufacturing and distribution companies, and technology-based enterprises has earned him a strong reputation as a business lawyer.
Recognized as a leader in the legal community, Jeff matches his experience and background with the entrepreneurial practice of law and the flexibility that affords his clients the opportunity to reach a reasonable business solution for their legal problems. Jeff was associated for over 25 years with a 300 lawyer firm where he served as one of its leaders, chairing the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group of over 50 professionals and serving on its Executive and Compensation Committees.
- Focus on litigation (trial and appeals) involving loan defaults and recourse carve outs under Commercial Mortgage Backed Securities loans.
- Work out guidance, planning and strategy for lenders on real estate-secured and personal property-secured loan transactions.
- Complex commercial litigation (trial and appellate), including secured lender representation, patent and trademark disputes, antitrust, securities and bank stock financing.
- Litigation for banking regulatory-related issues, contract claims, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, debt collection, RICO claims, false advertising claims, public utility regulation, foreclosures, real estate developments and investments, construction, bankruptcy and insurance disputes.
- Presentation of business disputes before arbitration panels and state and federal courts.
- Matters involving disputes between wholesalers and retailers, insurers and reinsurers, and financial institutions including matters relating to banking operations and loan participations.
- Real Estate Loan Workouts
- Lender Liability and Other Complex Litigation Involving Financial Institutions
- Injunctions and Other Non-Damage Creditor Remedies
- Collecting the Loan After Default
- Expert Witnesses in Commercial Litigation
- Bad Faith and Fair Dealing
- Discovery and Evidence Issues in Commercial Litigation
- Venue and Forum Non-Conveniens
- Recognizing and Resolving Boundary Disputes
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D. cum laude, 1981 (Order of the Coif)
- Texas A&M University, B.B.A., magna cum laude, 1978 (Honors Graduate, School of Business)
Admitted to Practice
- Texas, U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Second Circuit, U.S. Supreme Court
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member: State Bar of Texas, American Bar Association, Houston Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Associate Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Texas Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, Law & Politics Magazine, published in Texas Monthly, 2002-2014
- “The Best Lawyers in America,” 2009-2015
- Houston’s Top Lawyers, Commercial Litigation, Business Litigation, H Texas, 2004-2006, 2008-2015
- Top Lawyers, Houstonia, 2013, 2014